Technical Project Manager GIS
- Post Date:August 25, 2017
- Apply Before: December 25, 2017
- Job Level Senior-LevelYears of Experience 6 - 7 YearsGender Both
- Qualification(s) Master’s DegreeCertification(s) Required PMI-ACP, AgilePgM or Certified Scrum Product Owner
eHealth Africa (eHA) designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
Summary: The Technical Project Manager (GIS) supports planning, execution and monitoring technical projects within eHA’s Geographic information systems (GIS) Department. S/he supports project management activities to achieve successful project completion. S/he is responsible for day to day management of dedicated project teams; supports the design and development of project specific GIS documentations and performs a variety of project-related technical tasks as directed by the GIS Department Manager.
Keywords: GIS, Project Management, Sprint Planning, Release Planning, Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Lean.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, the Technical Project Manager (GIS)will work under the supervision of the GIS Department Manager to perform the following responsibilities:
- Plans and coordinates GIS project activities and ensures the timely implementation of projects. Ensures that project deliverables meet quality standards and business requirements
- Manages small as well as large and complex geospatial projects through the entire project lifecycle (inception, design, development, integration, test, trial and maintenance)
- Develops, coordinates, and monitors projects plans to include key milestones, timelines and resources. Works with external consultants for smooth project implementation.
- Ensures that work requests and backlogs are properly articulated, prioritized and detailed.
- Organizes and facilitates project planning, daily stand-ups, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos and other project-related meetings.
- Oversees execution of cross-functional development projects from initiation through release, utilizing Agile/Scrum/Kanban/Lean concepts, geospatial SDLC methodologies and principles where appropriate.
- Tracks tasks and milestones and reports on the project’s progress. Assists as needed with backlog maintenance.
- Works to identify blocked or stalled activities and influences the team to resolve the issues, seeking opportunities for innovation and enhancing efficiency of project delivery.
- Participates in pre-sales and business development activities such as writing proposals, scoping proposed solutions, budgeting, resourcing and risk analysis.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures compliance with laws and regulations.
- May frequently travel between company work-sites. Some international travel may be required.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.Accepts responsibility for own actions. Responds well to supervisor requests and feedback.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in annual strategic planning meetings, country management meetings, staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Degree Requirement: Master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography, or other GIS/Information Systems Technology related degree.
- 5+ years of GIS development and minimum of 2 years agile project management experience.
- Significant and advanced GIS project management experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
- Strong knowledge and experience of Geospatial development and software development life cycle.
- Strong project management skills, including experience in agile practices and frame works e.g. Lean, Scrum and Kanban.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and deliver within tight timelines while being flexible in adapting to new roles.
- Strong leadership skills that include the ability to build effective teams, ability to motivate others, delegation, and timely/quality decision making. Training and presentation experience is preferred. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail. Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
Certifications and Licences
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP), AgilePgM or Certified Scrum Product Owner.
- Working knowledge of project management tools, e.g. Atlassian Jira, Redbooth, etc.
- Understanding of open Source GIS (QGIS, PostGIS and Geoserver), data transformation tools (FME Desktop, Kettle and python) and Commercial GIS (ArcInfo, ArcView, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox), ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- English is the spoken and written language.
- Ability to read, analyse, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
Why work for eHealth?
Life at eHealth Africa means not only working towards saving thousands of lives, but also collaborating with dedicated professionals with a passion for innovative technology. We offer a series of programs that enables them to pursue a career that fulfills their potential. Our team members’ health and well-being is our priority as well as rewarding them for their hard work.